Plump apples are best used in this chilli jam which makes for a perfect accompaniment on your cheeseboard: cheese, crackers, chilli & apple create a combination unlike any. The sweetness and tartness from apples, heat from chilli, crunch from crackers and sharpness from the cheese combines to give you an explosion in the mouth. We recommend a mature cheddar or funky blue cheese, but feel free to experiment!
Use cherry peppers for a mild flavour or bird’s eye pepper for a stronger kick. The cherry peppers strongly resemble the fruit so stay alert when you store them in the refrigerator as popping them into your mouth will have fiery results!
Prep Time: 2 hours + 2 hours for cooling
Caters To: 2 medium jars
Challenge Level: Beginner
From The Pantry:
- 4 apples, chopped but unpeeled
- 10-15 small green and red chillies, deseeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 ml cider vinegar
- 200 grams castor sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and shaved for zest
- Water to cover
- Add all the ingredients in a large pot with enough water to cover everything.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until it reaches the desired consistency (it takes about 1-2 hours).
- Bottle into clean air-tight jars and cool, allowing preservation for 6 months.
Top on crackers and cheese for a perfect antipasto!
Featured Image Courtesy: barefeetinthekitchen.com