What better way to begin a dessert list than a decadent chocolate fondant cake. We love this classic French delicacy with chocolate oozing from the centre.
We give this chocolate dessert a twist & spiked with red chilli, it reaches a whole new level. A slight tingle on the palate from the red thai chillis followed by the sweetness from chocolate gives it a heavenly combination of flavours nestled in the aroma of cocoa.
Prep Time: 30-40mins
Caters To: 6 gobblers
Challenge Level: Expert
From The Pantry:
- 85 grams dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 85 grams unsalted butter, cubed and extra as per requirement for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 85 grams castor sugar
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- 30 grams plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 2 red chillies deseeded and deveined to decorate (as per liking)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease the desired moulds with unsalted butter or olive oil spray.
- Place the chocolate and unsalted butter in a bain-marie and melt. Ensure that the bowl used is wiped clean at the bottom and has no water droplets. (Water and chocolate equals disaster, trust us you do not want to be risqué when melting chocolate!)
- Remove from heat when melted and combined. Leave alone to cool down for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl add eggs and sugar. Whisk together until thick and pale.
- Slowly fold the chocolate and butter in egg mix. Once completely incorporated, add chilli and fold again.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and cayenne pepper and fold with a metal spoon until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture into the 6 moulds (traditionally cupcake moulds) and place in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes or until there is firmness on the top and sides, but still a very soft wobble.
- Remove from moulds and dust with icing sugar.
The hidden chocolate chilli river is ready to be served!
Featured Image Courtesy: heglutenfreegourmet.co.uk